Skip to content

Email Discussion Group

[Tlhingan-hol] New word: bridge

tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 13 15:25:35 2012

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[Tlhingan-hol] New word: bridge

Qov (

I'm not simply posting the whole messages because Marc's is not readily
interpretable without reference to mine, and mine is interspersed with
personal fangirlish stuff.

I asked:
I know Maltz is not always amenable to questions, but if he is in the mood, perhaps you could get him to speak about three things. In short, they are bridges, screws and aspect.

While I can describe a <bIQtIq HeHmey rartaHbogh ravHom> ("floorlet which is connecting a river's edges") it becomes an exercise in mental gymnastics for me to write about and then the reader to recognize a bridge. Especially when I go on to describe a scene of actions taking place on under and around said bridge. If it's important to Maltz, the bridge in question is a rope suspension bridge with wooden planked footing, and crosses a river. 
The word for "bridge" (as in over a river) is <QI> (one of those weird vowel-final words). Maltz said that would apply to the kind of rope bridge you described (as well as more substantial bridges).
Tlhingan-hol mailing list

Back to archive top level

This page was last modified on February 13, 2015 and is managed by:

The Klingon Language Institute is a nonprofit corporation and exists to facilitate the scholarly exploration of the Klingon language and culture. Klingon, Star Trek, and all related marks are Copyrights and Trademarks of Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved. Klingon Language Institute Authorized User.