tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 06:52:40 1995

Re: TLHINGAN-HOL digest 296

STOP IT GOD DAMN IT.  I'VE ASKED YOU NINE THOUSAND TIMES TO UNSUBSCRIBE ME
NOW WOULD YOU FUCKING DO IT BEFORE I DRIVE OUT TO FUCKING FLORIDA AND THROW
YOUR SERVER INTO THE ATLANTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> [...]
>> > vanya
>
>> I seem to have missed lessons 4 and 5. Anybody want to compile a
>> list?
>>                               maSqa'
>
>jIQeHtaHvIS *lessons 4 & 5* vIbachta'. ;)
>
>Oh. Wow. Um, I have a question...? ... using a continuous aspect-marker
>in "WHILE I was being angry", is it then okay to use a perfective marker
>and say "I shot (completed action) lessons 4 and 5"? ... or do the two
>have to agree? (if anyone thinks I'm asking too many questions to which
>the answers are obvious to anyone who's read TKD properly, please say so
>and I won't take offence :)
>
>..from the example given in TKD, *SutlhtaHvIS chaH DIHIvpu'*, I'd say
>that what I've written is okay, but I just wanted to check.
>

>vanya. (anyone want to come up with a Bajoran smilie? ;)

>Chris Atherton
>[email protected]
>
>"OOoooooeeeeeEEEE eeeeoo? Ooo oooee EE
>eeoooo". - Tiny Clanger.
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:18:40 +0000 (GMT)
>From: hfp95118 <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Confusion and unconditional surrender (was: vocabulary..)
>
>> >jIQoS 'ach jabbI'IDvam lI'nISlu'
>> >
>> >(is that a passable translation, in context, of, "(Well,) I'm sorry, but
>> >someone had to say it.." ?)
>>
>> toH
>> "veqlarghmo' vIghItlh" vImaSqu'
>> 'ach bIQoS'a' ... Suqoy'qang'a' qatlh
>> toDujbe''a' SoH
>
>Um, I'm confused. I'm going to write what I think this says, but it looks
>wrong to me. I don't want to be questioning the writings of my elders and
>betters (well, elders, at least ;) but, I'll say it again, I'm confused.
>My interpretation:
>
>"veqlarghmo' vIghItlh" vImaSqu'
>	I prefer "because of the fek'lhr, I wrote it/this"
>
>'ach bIQoS'a' ... SuQoy'qang'a' qatlh
>	But are you sorry? ... why are you (all) willing to beg?
>	(this is where I start to get confused: isn't the coexistance
>	here of the question *qatlh and the question-suffix -'a'
>	superfluous?)
>
>toDujbe''a' SoH
>	I don't get this :( ... to me it looks like you stuck a -be, a
>	verb-suffix, onto a noun. I think what you're asking is "are you
>	without courage?"
>

>Darn, I hate this. Every time I ask a question here, I get it all wrong
>and someone jumps on me (wearing big boots ;) .. Kahless guide me and let
>me have it RIGHT for a change! ;)
>

>> (cheghqu' Soqra'tIS ... Doghjeyraj vIneH tera'nganpu')
>> *snicker* *snicker*  }};-p
>
>choghIjbe' ( but then again, maybe that's 'cos I'm Bajoran ;) ...
>*slipper*meywIj mojpu' no'lI' SurghDu'  ;P
>
>(I wanted to say "I made your ancestors' skins into slippers" but it
>didn't seem to work and I had to settle for this more passive translation;
>does it make sense to anyone as an insult?)
>
>>       vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
>> vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'

{[email protected]}
> [...]
>is apparently not to be taken literally, and {rIntaH} certainly carries
>more meaning than "it continues to be finished".
>
>Some time ago I noticed that {chu'wI'} "trigger" also means "new one"
>and I remarked on how the concept "trigger" matched the common events
>when a "new one" joined the mailing list.  It's not common slang, but
>I think at least a few people here remember my post and recognize the
>reference.
>
>There's one true Klingon idiom that I know of: {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, which
>is slang for "do not hear" (refer to HolQeD Volume 2, Number 4).
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 00:21:41 -0500
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: DujHom chu' vIje'nIS
>
>>vagh ben pa' loQ QapHa' luch 'ej muDDaq pey tlhuch luchvam. (*1)
>>
>>Since {ben} already means "years ago," I would not use {pa'} here as "before,
>>ago."
>
>{-pa'} the type 9 verb suffix does mean "before", but I wrote {pa'} the
>word, which is a noun meaning "there, over there, thereabouts".  It's
>being used as a locative in my sentence.  According to TKD 3.3.5, the
>nouns {naDev}, {pa'}, and {Dat} are never followed by {-Daq}, but act
>as locatives all by themselves.
>
>>My real reason for replying to this post, though, is the use of {tlhuch}.
>> Although TKD does not tell us the usage of Verbs, I feel that {tlhuch} means
>>to "exhaust [resources]."
>>To me, it does not convey "emit exhaust."  I have not found any words in TKD
>>to express "emit," "expel," nor "cast."
>
>I believe I have found such a word: {tlhuch}!  I base this opinion on
>several things.  First, the word appears in the English-Klingon side of
>the dictionary adjacent to the noun {taQbang} "exhaust"; I believe that
>if Okrand had intended it to mean "use up" he would have recognized the
>ambiguity and used the words "use up" in its gloss.  Second, there does
>not seem to be another word for "emit", but there IS a verb {loj} which
>means "be all gone", and {lojmoH} is perfect for "use up".  Third, the
>word is similar to {tlhuH} "breathe" and {tlhIch} "smoke".  It's a weak
>argument, but there's a similar similarity :-) involving {ja'}, {jach},
>{jatlh}, and even {jat}.
>
>>Try asking "What color is your parachute?" in Klingon.
>
>{SuD'a' muDDaq QIt bIpummeH luchlIj?}  It's an unfair challenge.
>Try asking {qaStaHvIS poH nI' qanpu''a' weplIj tIq ngo'} in English.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 00:23:04 -0600
>From: [email protected] (Anthony Curran)
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: HeghlI' jIlwI'
>

>>{lI'} = "be useful"
>
>"TKD"Daq vISam.  qatlh vIleghlaHbe'?  mInDu' chu' vISuqnIS.
>
>>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

Back to archive top level