tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 21:22:15 1995

Re: Reduplication & idioms (was DujHom chu' vIje'nIS)

Qogh writes:
>..does anyone know if there are any tlhingan idioms?

I'm not sure if it fits your definition, but the {law'/puS} construction
is apparently not to be taken literally, and {rIntaH} certainly carries
more meaning than "it continues to be finished".

Some time ago I noticed that {chu'wI'} "trigger" also means "new one"
and I remarked on how the concept "trigger" matched the common events
when a "new one" joined the mailing list.  It's not common slang, but
I think at least a few people here remember my post and recognize the
reference.

There's one true Klingon idiom that I know of: {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, which
is slang for "do not hear" (refer to HolQeD Volume 2, Number 4).