tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 13:36:37 1995

Confusion and unconditional surrender (was: vocabulary..)

> >jIQoS 'ach jabbI'IDvam lI'nISlu'
> >
> >(is that a passable translation, in context, of, "(Well,) I'm sorry, but
> >someone had to say it.." ?)
>
> toH
> "veqlarghmo' vIghItlh" vImaSqu'
> 'ach bIQoS'a' ... Suqoy'qang'a' qatlh
> toDujbe''a' SoH

Um, I'm confused. I'm going to write what I think this says, but it looks
wrong to me. I don't want to be questioning the writings of my elders and
betters (well, elders, at least ;) but, I'll say it again, I'm confused.
My interpretation:

"veqlarghmo' vIghItlh" vImaSqu'
	I prefer "because of the fek'lhr, I wrote it/this"

'ach bIQoS'a' ... SuQoy'qang'a' qatlh
	But are you sorry? ... why are you (all) willing to beg?
	(this is where I start to get confused: isn't the coexistance
	here of the question *qatlh and the question-suffix -'a'
	superfluous?)

toDujbe''a' SoH
	I don't get this :( ... to me it looks like you stuck a -be, a
	verb-suffix, onto a noun. I think what you're asking is "are you
	without courage?"

Darn, I hate this. Every time I ask a question here, I get it all wrong
and someone jumps on me (wearing big boots ;) .. Kahless guide me and let
me have it RIGHT for a change! ;)

> (cheghqu' Soqra'tIS ... Doghjeyraj vIneH tera'nganpu')
> *snicker* *snicker*  }};-p

choghIjbe' ( but then again, maybe that's 'cos I'm Bajoran ;) ...
*slipper*meywIj mojpu' no'lI' SurghDu'  ;P

(I wanted to say "I made your ancestors' skins into slippers" but it
didn't seem to work and I had to settle for this more passive translation;
does it make sense to anyone as an insult?)

>       vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
> vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
> Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

vanya

Chris Atherton
[email protected]