tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 14:40:33 1995

Re: haiku

> Date sent:      14-Nov-95 15:14:06 -0600
> From:           DSPEERS @ INTERNET (d'Armond Speers) {[email protected]}
> To:             TLHINGAN @ INTERNET (Multiple recipients of list) {[email protected]}
> Send reply to:  TLHINGAN @ INTERNET {[email protected]}
> Subject:        Re: haiku

> On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Adam Walker wrote:
>
> > I sat down the other day to try my hand at the ancient tlhingan art of
> > *Hayku'*.  What do you think?
> >
> > jaghwIj nujvo''a'
> > Doqbogh nIjtaH Iw'.  Dunbej.
> > 'ItHa' jiH.  yayqu"!
>
> jIyajchu'be'.  nuq 'oH *Doq*'e'?  (mu'tlhegh cha').  'ej, *yay'*
> *jIH* je DaHechbej.
>
> Qaghmey mach DalIjlaH; ram.  potlh nuq?  bIghItlh!  bImughtaHbe'!
> qechmeylIj DaghItlhmo' bIDubbej 'ej Daghojbej.  'ej mu'mey DaghItlhbogh
> vIlaD 'e' vItIvqu'.  yIghItlhtaH!
>
> > Qogh.
>
> --Holtej

Dayajchu'be'mo' jIQoS, 'ach *Hayku'*'e'!  OK, I'm going to let the
tlhingan Hol go for the moment before I get myself in trouble with
some stupid mistake!  Yes, it is my own ghitlh.  I would not mu'nIH,
like that.  [Yes, I'm aware that I can't combine nouns and verbs like
I just did, but it conveys my meaning, and I thought it was sort of
clever.] :)  If I had been translating I would have credited the
source.  I'm a writer, too, and I'd want my work credited.  We have
laws in this country...er, planet...ah, Empire.  Are tlhingan
copyrights honored in Federation territory??

I thought (perhaps wrongly) that relative clauses like Doqbogh had to
come first in the sentence.  That's why it's there, but it refers to
the blood.

'ItHa' jIH  is supposed to convey an idea like "My depression has
lifted."  If it's way off or totally ungrammatical I'll try to change
it, but as long as it's close and passable taking into account poetic
licence I'd like to leave it.

The last word is yay -- victory  not yay' -- be shocked!

Also in your sentence "'ej, *yay'* *jIH* je DaHechbej."  shouldn't it
be DaHechbej'a' with the interrogative particle?

Qapla'

Qogh.

Back to archive top level