tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 14 21:22:19 1995

Re: DujHom chu' vIje'nIS

>vagh ben pa' loQ QapHa' luch 'ej muDDaq pey tlhuch luchvam. (*1)
>
>Since {ben} already means "years ago," I would not use {pa'} here as "before,
>ago."

{-pa'} the type 9 verb suffix does mean "before", but I wrote {pa'} the
word, which is a noun meaning "there, over there, thereabouts".  It's
being used as a locative in my sentence.  According to TKD 3.3.5, the
nouns {naDev}, {pa'}, and {Dat} are never followed by {-Daq}, but act
as locatives all by themselves.

>My real reason for replying to this post, though, is the use of {tlhuch}.
> Although TKD does not tell us the usage of Verbs, I feel that {tlhuch} means
>to "exhaust [resources]."
>To me, it does not convey "emit exhaust."  I have not found any words in TKD
>to express "emit," "expel," nor "cast."

I believe I have found such a word: {tlhuch}!  I base this opinion on
several things.  First, the word appears in the English-Klingon side of
the dictionary adjacent to the noun {taQbang} "exhaust"; I believe that
if Okrand had intended it to mean "use up" he would have recognized the
ambiguity and used the words "use up" in its gloss.  Second, there does
not seem to be another word for "emit", but there IS a verb {loj} which
means "be all gone", and {lojmoH} is perfect for "use up".  Third, the
word is similar to {tlhuH} "breathe" and {tlhIch} "smoke".  It's a weak
argument, but there's a similar similarity :-) involving {ja'}, {jach},
{jatlh}, and even {jat}.

>Try asking "What color is your parachute?" in Klingon.

{SuD'a' muDDaq QIt bIpummeH luchlIj?}  It's an unfair challenge.
Try asking {qaStaHvIS poH nI' qanpu''a' weplIj tIq ngo'} in English.