tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 10:37:24 2010

RE: FW: Question about a little help with translation

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qurgh:
>Here's what we have, I think:
>----------
>
>ghItlhvamDaq Hapghom vIDel. Hapghommeyvam vIchenmoHmeH HaQchor HapQeD
>Hapghom je vIlo'.  ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom javDIch Dab HapQeD
>Hapghomvammey.
>
>This work describes compounds. To create these compounds I used sugar and
>chemical compounds. These chemical compounds come from the 4th, 5th and
>6th groups.

Could we say {latlh Hapmey} "other substances/elements"?  We've been describing everything as *{Hapghommey} "compounds" and it's a little confusing.

Let's combine the overly general 1st sentence with the 2nd:

  HaQchor latlh Hapmey je vIlo'taHvIS Hapghommey'e'
   vIchenmoHpu'bogh Del ghItlhvam.
  This work describes compounds that I have created using
   sugar and other substances.

and the parenthetical comment becomes:

  (ghom 4-DIch ghom 5-DIch ghom 6-DIch je Dab latlh Hapmeyvam.)
  (These chemical compounds reside in the 4th, 5th and 6th groups.)

BTW, why are you using {Dab} "reside in/at, dwell in/at".  Why not a verb like {buv}  "classify"?

>loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.
>nInnaghvo' chenbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'. AMINE peymey
>ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.
>
>I really researched compounds that resembled circles that contain 4 or 5
>partners. I really researched compounds that resembled circles that are
>from coal. I also researched compounds that contained AMINE acids.

I still think these should be combined, but differently than I suggested before:

  4 qoch 5 qoch ghap ghajbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e', nInnaghvo'
   chenbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' je vIQulqu'.

  I intensively researched compounds resembling circles containing 4
   or 5 partners and compounds resembling circles from coal.

>wa' qut vIlo'taHvIS Hapghom qach vItu'pu'.
>While using a crystal I found the compound's structure.

I still think {wa' qut} "one crystal} is misleading.  AFAIK he didn't use only one crystal, but used several single crystals, one at a time.  Let's just drop the number:

  qut vIlo'taHvIS Hapghom qach vItu'pu'.
  Using a crystal I have found the compound's structure.

  bIQDaq Hapghom qut vIngoS(pu')DI' taS vIQul 'ej De' law' vIboS.
  [After] I had dissolved the compound crystal(s) in water I researched
  the solution and I collected much data.

  taSDaq bIHtaHvIS bIQvo' Hapghom vISuq 'e' vInID.
  I tried to take the compounds from the water while they were in solution.

plural "compoundS" - {bIH} is plural.

> - chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
> - How do these compounds exist in living organisms?

OK, though I would drop one of the {-mey} (we have quite a lot of them):

  chay' yIntaHbogh yaghDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
  How do these compounds exist in a living organism?

> - chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?
> - How do shells build their bowl?

maj.

>chaq janglaH ghItlhvam
>Perhaps this work can answer.

maj.

So all together once more:

  HaQchor latlh Hapmey je vIlo'taHvIS Hapghommey'e' vIchenmoHpu'bogh
  Del ghItlhvam.  (ghom 4-DIch ghom 5-DIch ghom 6-DIch je Dab latlh
  Hapmeyvam.)

  4 qoch 5 qoch ghap ghajbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e', nInnaghvo'
  chenbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' je vIQulqu'.  AMINE peymey
  ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.

  qut vIlo'taHvIS Hapghom qach vItu'pu'.  bIQDaq Hapghom qut
  vIngoS(pu')DI' taS vIQul 'ej De' law' vIboS.  taSDaq bIHtaHvIS
  bIQvo' Hapghom vISuq 'e' vInID.

  - chay' yIntaHbogh yaghDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
  - chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?

  chaq janglaH ghItlhvam.

  This work describes compounds that I have created using sugar and
  other substances.  (These chemical compounds reside in the 4th,
  5th and 6th groups.)

  I intensively researched compounds resembling circles containing 4
  or 5 partners and compounds resembling circles from coal.  I also
  researched compounds that contained AMINE acids.

  Using a crystal I have found the compound's structure.  [After] I had
  dissolved the compound crystal(s) in water I researched the solution
  and I collected much data.  I tried to take the compounds from the water
  while they were in solution.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons