tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 24 07:04:28 2010

Re: FW: Question about a little help with translation

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I received this request this morning.  Sounds interesting and I'm curious
> to see whether we could deal with the chemical vocabulary.  I've asked him
> for a copy of the abstract and his paraphrases, so we may be able to work
> out something collectively.
> If anyone is interested, please contact Richard Betz directly.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Canon Master of the Klingons

I also got contacted by Richard and got copies of the abstract and the
paraphrases:

Abstract:

The present work describes the synthesis and characterization of mono- and
polynuclear compounds derived from diols, polyols and carbohydrates and
elements of the fourth, fifth and sixth main group of the periodic system of
the elements.

The focus of research was placed on spirocyclic derivatives of pentavalent
phosphorus, arsenic and antimony, tetravalent selenium and tellurium and
spirocyclicesters of orthocarbonic acid. In addition, alpha -hydroxy
carboxylic acids, amino acids, amino alcohols and hydroxythiols were tested
as chelators as well.

The molecular set-up of most compounds synthesized during this study was
elucidated by means of X-ray analyses on single-crystals. The behaviour of
the compounds in solution was analyzed by means of multinuclear
NMR-spectroscopy and characteristic data were collected, special emphasis
having been laid on the coordination induced shift. A thorough collection of
additional analytical data was prepared.

The stability of the compounds under investigation in protic and aqueous
media was checked and possible pathways for synthesis of these compounds
applying water as the solvent were tested for their feasibility.

A comparison of the different classes of compounds synthesized during this
study is intended to shed light on different modes of transportation of
these elements in organisms and to open up new ways in solving the question
of biomineralization of silicon.

Paraphrase 1:

The present work describes the production and properties of compounds
derived from sugars and their model compounds and elements of the fourth,
fifth and sixth main group of the periodic system of the elements.

Major interest was in ring-like compounds of phosphorus, arsenic and
antimony with five partners, selenium and tellurium with four partners and
ring-like compounds of carbon. Apart from sugar, models for proteins were
used for making ring-like compounds of the mentioned elements as well.

The structure of the compounds was explained by researching single-crystals.
The behaviour of the dissolved compounds was studied. A thorough collection
of characteristic data was prepared.

The stability of the compounds in water was checked and it was tried to
produce the compounds directly from water.

Comparing the different compounds was intended to answer how these might
travel through the body of living organisms. In addition, this might answer
the question how shells build their bowls.

Paraphrase 2:

This work describes the production and the properties of compounds derived
from sugar and (chemical) fundamental compounds from the fourth, fifth and
sixth group.

Ring-like compounds with five and four partners and ring-like compounds from
coal were researched most. Apart from sugar, compounds with egg white were
researched.

The set-up of the compounds was researched on crystals. The properties of
the dissolved compounds were researched. A big collection of properties was
made.

The behaviour of the compounds in water was researched. It was tried to
produce the compounds from water.

A comparison of the compounds should answer the question how these exist in
living organisms. This could also answer the question how shells build their
bowls.

It's pretty heavy stuff.

qurgh

Back to archive top level