tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 08:10:50 2010

RE: FW: Question about a little help with translation

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qurgh:
> majQa'! I put all that into the translation and reworked all the verbs
> to use vI- instead of -lu'.

An abstract is a good opportunity to use the verb {bop} "be (all) about something".

We don't have to translate this exactly.  Since it's an abstract we could just re-write it to explain what this dissertation is about.  Let's try to simplify this a bit...

>>This work describes the production and the properties of compounds
>>derived from sugar and (chemical) fundamental compounds from the
>>fourth, fifth and sixth group.
>>
>ghItlhvamDaq Hapghom vIDel. Hapghommeyvam vIchenmoHmeH HaQchor HapQeD
>Hapghom je vIlo'.  ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom javDIch Dab HapQeD
>Hapghomvammey.
>
>(In this writing I describe compounds. In order to make these compounds I
>use sugar and chemical compounds. These chemical compounds are in the
>fourth, fifth and six groups.)

  wej Hapghom HaQchor Segh (ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom
   javDIch je) bop ghItlhvam.
  This writing is (all) about three sugar compound types (the
   fourth, fifth and sixth).

>>Ring-like compounds with five and four partners and ring-like
>>compounds from coal were researched most.  Apart from sugar, compounds
>>with egg white were researched.
>>
>loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh gho lururbogh Hapghom'e' vIQulqu'.
>nInnaghvo' gho lururbogh Hapghom'e' vIQulqu'. "egg whites"  ngaSbogh
>Hapghom'e' vIQul je.
>
>(I really researched the compounds that resemble circles that have four
>or five partners. I really researched compounds that resembled circles
>from coal. I also researched compounds that contained "egg whites")
>
>I still can't think of what to use to describe "egg whites". He used
>"egg whites" to paraphrase amino acids, although I don't think translating
>that will be any easier.

Hmm... *{QImpey} "egg-acid"???

According to my desktop dictionary an amine group refers to the radical -NH2 while the adjective amino- means "pertaining to or containing any of a group of organic compounds of nitrogen derived from ammonia)".  Since it's composed of {voQSIp} "nitrogen", we could say {voQSIp pey} but that sounds more like "nitric acid" to me.  Perhaps we should just leave it as {AMINE pey}.

  loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh 'ej nInnaghvo' chenbogh gho
  lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.  AMINE peymey ngaSbogh
  Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.

  I really researched compounds resembling circles that have four
  or five partners and that formed from coal.  I also researched
  compounds that contain amino acids.

At this point we can just list the questions he researched without his comments about having studied/researched them...

>>The set-up of the compounds was researched on crystals. The properties
>>of the dissolved compounds were researched.  A big collection of
>>properties was made.
>>
>chay' qutmeyDaq chenmoH Hapghommey?  Hapghommeyvam ngoSpu'bogh taS'e'
>vIQul 'ej De' law' vIgher.
>
>(How do the compounds form in crystals? I researched solutions that
>contained these compounds and compiled much data.)

  chay' qutmeyDaq chenmoH Hapghommeyvam?
  How do these compounds form in crystals?

>>The behaviour of the compounds in water was researched. It was tried
>>to produce the compounds from water.
>>
>chay' bIQDaq vang Hapghommey'e'? bIQvo' Hapghom vIlel 'e' vInID.
>
>(How do the compounds act in water? I tried to take the compound from
>water.)

  chay' bIQDaq vang Hapghommeyvam?
  How do these compounds act in water?

>>A comparison of the compounds should answer the question how these
>>exist in living organisms. This could also answer the question how
>>shells build their bowls.
>>
>chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommey'e'? chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH
>pel'aQ?  chaq janglaH ghItlhvam
>
>(How do the compounds exist in living organisims? How do shells build
>their bowl? Perhaps this writing can answer.)

  chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
  How do these compounds exist in living organisms?

  chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?
  How do shells build their bowl?

So, putting it all together:

  wej Hapghom HaQchor Segh (ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom javDIch
  je) bop ghItlhvam.  loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh 'ej nInnaghvo'
  chenbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.  AMINE peymey
  ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.

  This writing is (all) about three sugar compound types: the fourth,
  fifth and sixth.  I really researched compounds resembling circles
  that have four or five partners and that formed from coal.  I also
  researched compounds that contain amino acids.

  chay' qutmeyDaq chenmoH Hapghommeyvam?
  chay' bIQDaq vang Hapghommeyvam?
  chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
  chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?

  How do these compounds form in crystals?
  How do these compounds act in water?
  How do these compounds exist in living organisms?
  How do shells build their bowl?

You know, I think we can rearrange this a bit:

  wej Hapghom HaQchor Segh (ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom javDIch
  je) bop ghItlhvam:

  - chay' qutmeyDaq chenmoH Hapghommeyvam?
  - chay' bIQDaq vang Hapghommeyvam?
  - chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
  - chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?

  loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh 'ej nInnaghvo' chenbogh gho
  lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.  AMINE peymey ngaSbogh
  Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.

  This writing is (all) about three sugar compound types (the fourth,
  fifth and sixth):

  - How do these compounds form in crystals?
  - How do these compounds act in water?
  - How do these compounds exist in living organisms?
  - How do shells build their bowl?

  I really researched compounds resembling circles that have four
  or five partners and that formed from coal.  I also researched
  compounds that contain amino acids.

How does that look to you?

--
Voragh