tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 09:05:49 2010

Re: FW: Question about a little help with translation

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]>wrote:
> qurgh:
> > majQa'! I put all that into the translation and reworked all the verbs
> > to use vI- instead of -lu'.
>
> An abstract is a good opportunity to use the verb {bop} "be (all) about
> something".
>
> We don't have to translate this exactly.  Since it's an abstract we could
> just re-write it to explain what this dissertation is about.  Let's try to
> simplify this a bit...
>

>   wej Hapghom HaQchor Segh (ghom loSDIch ghom vaghDIch ghom
>   javDIch je) bop ghItlhvam.
>  This writing is (all) about three sugar compound types (the
>   fourth, fifth and sixth).

But that's not what it's about. I think it's being reduced too much. The
original (non-paraphrase) states:

The present work describes the synthesis and characterization of mono- and
polynuclear compounds derived from diols, polyols and carbohydrates and
elements of the fourth, fifth and sixth main group of the periodic system of
the elements.

It's not about sugar compounds from groups 4, 5 and 6, but pure elements
from the 4th, 5th, 6th group on the periodic table mixed with sugar alcohols
and carbohydrates to produce mono- and polynuclear compounds.

> >I still can't think of what to use to describe "egg whites". He used
> >"egg whites" to paraphrase amino acids, although I don't think translating
> >that will be any easier.
>
> Hmm... *{QImpey} "egg-acid"???
>
> According to my desktop dictionary an amine group refers to the radical
> -NH2 while the adjective amino- means "pertaining to or containing any of a
> group of organic compounds of nitrogen derived from ammonia)".  Since it's
> composed of {voQSIp} "nitrogen", we could say {voQSIp pey} but that sounds
> more like "nitric acid" to me.  Perhaps we should just leave it as {AMINE
> pey}.
>
>  loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh 'ej nInnaghvo' chenbogh gho
>  lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.  AMINE peymey ngaSbogh
>  Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.
>
>  I really researched compounds resembling circles that have four
>  or five partners and that formed from coal.  I also researched
>  compounds that contain amino acids.

Going back to the original again:

The focus of research was placed on spirocyclic derivatives of pentavalent
phosphorus, arsenic and antimony, tetravalent selenium and tellurium and
spirocyclicesters of orthocarbonic acid. In addition, alpha -hydroxy
carboxylic acids, amino acids, amino alcohols and hydroxythiols were tested
as chelators as well.

The coils from elements with partners and the coils from carbon are separate
topics of research. It's not coils that contains both elements with partners
and coal.

loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'.
nInnaghvo' chenbogh gho lururbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQulqu'AMINE peymey
ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.

> At this point we can just list the questions he researched without his
> comments about having studied/researched them...
>
>   chay' qutmeyDaq chenmoH Hapghommeyvam?
>  How do these compounds form in crystals?
>
>   chay' bIQDaq vang Hapghommeyvam?
>  How do these compounds act in water?
>
>   chay' yIntaHbogh yaghmeyDaq taH Hapghommeyvam?
>  How do these compounds exist in living organisms?
>
>  chay' Duqchaj luchenmoH pel'aQmey?
>   How do shells build their bowl?

I think we made a mistake here. Going back to the original:

The molecular set-up of most compounds synthesized during this study was
elucidated by means of X-ray analyses on single-crystals. The behaviour of
the compounds in solution was analyzed by means of multinuclear
NMR-spectroscopy and characteristic data were collected, special emphasis
having been laid on the coordination induced shift. A thorough collection of
additional analytical data was prepared.

The stability of the compounds under investigation in protic and aqueous
media was checked and possible pathways for synthesis of these compounds
applying water as the solvent were tested for their feasibility

This to me is saying:

He grew crystals of the different compounds. Then he analyzed them with
X-rays to see their molecular composition. He then put the crystals in water
to see how they reacted.

I wonder if the paraphrase version 1 would help here:

The structure of the compounds was explained by researching single-crystals.
The behaviour of the dissolved compounds was studied. A thorough collection
of characteristic data was prepared.

The stability of the compounds in water was checked and it was tried to
produce the compounds directly from water.

wa' qut vIQul 'ej Hapghom qach vItu'. bIQDaq Hopghom qutmey vIngoS 'ej taS
vIQul. De' law' vIboS.

bIQDaq Hapghom bIHtaHvIS bIQvo' Hapghom vISuq 'e' vInID.

qurgh

Back to archive top level