tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 19:23:52 2010

Re: FW: Question about a little help with translation

MorphemeAddict ([email protected])

Yes, in the external view looking in, Klingon is a conlang with severe
limitations, but in the internal view, Klingons have a more advanced
technology than we do, and so presumably they would have their own words for
these chemical concepts, perhaps borrowed from other languages, but
certainly not from any Earth language.
lay'tel SIvten

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, qurgh lungqIj <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM, MorphemeAddict <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I think a way should be found to say "AMINE" in Klingon rather than just
> > using the Earth word. More than anything, using "AMINE" or any Earth word
> > highlights the limits of Klingon and its conlang origin, making the whole
> > project a farce.
> > lay'tel SIvten
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]
> > >wrote:
> >

> jIQochqu'!
>
> According to that logic Japanese is a farce. It borrows 1000s of words from
> English (hanbagaa, pantsu, diyamondo, Ti-shyatsu, konputaa, etc). English
> is
> also a farce, since it doesn't have words for betleH, daqtagh, veqlargh,
> suto'vo'qor, etc.
>
> Klingon IS a conlang. It DOES have limits. Trying to create a crazy long
> explanation for a single English word shows the limits much more than just
> using the word, IMHO.
>
> qurgh

Back to archive top level