tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 13:07:32 2010

Re: FW: Question about a little help with translation

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> If Richard is researching amino acids - and not compounds which containing
> amino acids (along with other substances) - we can collapse this to:
>
>  voQSIp ngaSbogh tat peymey'e' vIQul je.
>  I also researched ion-containing-nitrogen acids.
>
> But is this what he's doing?

The original line that we are paraphrasing here is

In addition, alpha -hydroxy carboxylic acids, amino acids, amino alcohols
and hydroxythiols were tested as chelators as well.

Amino acids is just one thing among many that are being testing a chelators.
I believe he's trying to see if those chemicals cause the shells to bind
together differently. I think the reason they switched it out with egg
whites is because the egg whites contain all/most/some of those chemicals.

Maybe, if we don't want to transliterate the term, we could go with:

QIm taS chIS
The egg's white solution

QIm taS chIS ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je
I also researched compounds that contain the egg's white solution

Although....

> Darin Arrick:
> }I disagree. Languages borrow all the time. So, since Maltz hasn't given
> }us a lot of chemical terminology (yet...right, Maltz?), borrow! Bring it
> }into Klingon, at least temporarily for this project, and make it fit the
> }phonology. 'amIn? 'a'mIn? Easy. For this abstract, it would work perfectly
> }well, I think.
>
> I think Darin's suggestion of transcribing the offending form AMINE may be
> the most practical solution:  *{'amIn pey}.  I'm sure all the Klingonists
> who'll be reading Richard's dissertation will immediately realize that
> *{'amIn} is not a known Klingon word!  <g>

I agree with this as well. We could spend months breaking this down in
smaller and smaller bits until it becomes a mass of descriptions.

I'm going to go ahead and packaging the last posted version and send it to
him.

qurgh

Back to archive top level