tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 12:37:24 2010

RE: FW: Question about a little help with translation

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh & qurgh's working translation:
}} AMINE peymey ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.
}} I also researched compounds that contained AMINE acids.

lay'tel SIvten:
>>> I think a way should be found to say "AMINE" in Klingon rather than
>>> just using the Earth word. More than anything, using "AMINE" or any
>>> Earth word highlights the limits of Klingon and its conlang origin,
>>> making the whole project a farce.

qurgh:
>>According to that logic Japanese is a farce. It borrows 1000s of words
>>from English (hanbagaa, pantsu, diyamondo, Ti-shyatsu, konputaa, etc).
>>English is also a farce, since it doesn't have words for betleH, daqtagh,
>>veqlargh, suto'vo'qor, etc.
>>
>>Klingon IS a conlang. It DOES have limits. Trying to create a crazy long
>>explanation for a single English word shows the limits much more than
>>just using the word, IMHO.

R. Fenwick:
> How about going the descriptive route:
>    tat'e' ngaSbogh voQSIp bIQSIp je pey
>    acid of an ion which contains nitrogen

Chemistry aside, the grammar is a little off.  {tat} "ion" is the subject of your relative clause:

  voQSIp ngaSbogh tat'e'
  an ion that contains nitrogen, an ion containing nitrogen

so using the relative clause to modify {pey} "acid":

  voQSIp ngaSbogh tat pey
  an ion-containing-nitrogen acid

> (ignoring the slight technical inaccuracy of describing the amine
> group as an ion)

Normally I don't like these definition-like "translations", but the sentence it's needed for is relatively short so it could be an option:

  voQSIp ngaSbogh tat peymey'e' ngaSbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul je.
  I also researched compounds that contain ion-containing-nitrogen acids

Then again, maybe not.  Two instances of {X ngaSbogh Y'e'}, one imbedded within the other!  Yechh!

If Richard is researching amino acids - and not compounds which containing amino acids (along with other substances) - we can collapse this to:

  voQSIp ngaSbogh tat peymey'e' vIQul je.
  I also researched ion-containing-nitrogen acids.

But is this what he's doing?

Darin Arrick:
}I disagree. Languages borrow all the time. So, since Maltz hasn't given
}us a lot of chemical terminology (yet...right, Maltz?), borrow! Bring it
}into Klingon, at least temporarily for this project, and make it fit the
}phonology. 'amIn? 'a'mIn? Easy. For this abstract, it would work perfectly
}well, I think.

I think Darin's suggestion of transcribing the offending form AMINE may be the most practical solution:  *{'amIn pey}.  I'm sure all the Klingonists who'll be reading Richard's dissertation will immediately realize that *{'amIn} is not a known Klingon word!  <g>

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level