tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 12:40:17 2010

Re: choH vs. choHmoH

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

Could it be clipped Klingon for "Cause the ship's attack course to change"
or "cause the ship to change attack course"?
This is a battle situation and he's trying to get the helmsman to plot an
intercept course to the shuttle that Kirk is on. He wants someone to make
the ship move that way:

(Duj) HIvHe yIchoHmoH - Cause the (ship's) attack course to change!

Can't choH be both transitive and intransitive? Why does it have to be one
or the other? I can change things myself or I can cause something else to
change something. All the example phrases make sense to me and I see no
conflict.

qurgh

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM, André Müller <[email protected]>wrote:

> 2010/1/30 MorphemeAddict <[email protected]>
> > {choH} seems simple enough to me. By itself it means intransitive
> "change,
> > *
> > become* different", while {choHmoH} means transitive "change,
> > *make*different,
> > *cause to* be(come) different".
> > lay'tel SIvten
> >

> But the canon phrases we have seem to contradict each other. Look at the
> two
> phrases Voragh gave for {choH}:
>
>  DaH Heraj yIchoH
>  Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)
>
>  ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'
>  The restaurant has altered hands. (KGT)
>
> The first one shows clearly that {choH} is transitive, the second one as
> well (the English phrasing seems a little weird to me, does it mean that
> the
> restaurant got a different owner now?).
>
> Then there's that one single {choHmoH} phrase which indicates that
> {choHmoH}
> is the transitive verb.
>
> So either MO mixed something up, or we can assume the Klingon guy on the
> ship made a mistake. Or a subtle distinction is involved, which we still
> have to explore. It could also be the case that the two {choH} sentences
> are
> wrong and that {choH} is intransitive indeed.
>
> But it's not clear or simple at all from what we have, if {choH} or
> {choHmoH} is the transitive Klingon verb for "to change something".
>
> - André

Back to archive top level