tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 12:58:35 2010

Re: choH vs. choHmoH

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

I like your explanation, I thought of something like this too, but I'm not
sure if causativized transitive verbs ever worked like this. Such a verb
needs 3 arguments: the causer, the causee and the final direct object. I
don't know what strategy Klingon uses to mark the causee and the final
direct object, let alone the proper word order in such a phrase. I think we
don't have canon sentences for this...
David said that causativized transitive verbs work differently. I haven't
looked at them again... can't comment on that, but I believe he's right.
True, {choH} can be ambitransitive/labile (= transitive, or intransitive),
like many Klingon verbs. But then, that usually means that the verb is
inherently transitive, and when used intransitively, the direct object is
simply left out and the subject still stays the agent.
So, if {choH} is transitive, {He vIchoH} means "I change the course." while
{jIchoH} would mean "I change" (something unspecified), not in the sense of
"I undergo a change".

Maybe someone should ask MO? This is a serious issue, not a simple "How do
you say X in Klingon?" type o' question. :)

- André

Back to archive top level