tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 09:11:15 2010

Re: choH vs. choHmoH

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

2010/1/30 MorphemeAddict <[email protected]>
> {choH} seems simple enough to me. By itself it means intransitive "change,
> *
> become* different", while {choHmoH} means transitive "change,
> *make*different,
> *cause to* be(come) different".
> lay'tel SIvten

But the canon phrases we have seem to contradict each other. Look at the two
phrases Voragh gave for {choH}:

 DaH Heraj yIchoH
 Alter your course now. (ST5 notes)

 ghopDu' choHpu' Qe'
 The restaurant has altered hands. (KGT)

The first one shows clearly that {choH} is transitive, the second one as
well (the English phrasing seems a little weird to me, does it mean that the
restaurant got a different owner now?).

Then there's that one single {choHmoH} phrase which indicates that {choHmoH}
is the transitive verb.

So either MO mixed something up, or we can assume the Klingon guy on the
ship made a mistake. Or a subtle distinction is involved, which we still
have to explore. It could also be the case that the two {choH} sentences are
wrong and that {choH} is intransitive indeed.

But it's not clear or simple at all from what we have, if {choH} or
{choHmoH} is the transitive Klingon verb for "to change something".

- André

Back to archive top level