tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 29 08:41:43 2010

choH vs. choHmoH

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

Dear list,
I have a problem with the verb {choH}, which is translated as "alter,
change" in the dictionary. As far as I know there are no canon sentences
with this verb, so we don't know if it's transitive or intransitive.
But according to some posting from Steven Boozer, there was a sentence used
in Star Trek V, which was: {HIvHe yIchoHmoH!} ("Alter the attack course!").
Here, the verb is combined with the causative suffix {-moH}, so obviously
{choHmoH} is transitive and means "to alter/change something". Thus I
conclude that {choH} must be intransitive, meaning "to become different".

Is my assumption correct?
I'm a bit unsure, because I always thought of {choH} as a transitive verb
and am not sure about the canon-ness (canonicity?) of the above sentence.

Thanks in advance,
- André

Back to archive top level