tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 29 13:15:55 2010

Re: choH vs. choHmoH

On 1/29/2010 3:45 PM, André Müller wrote:
> Okay, so the best would be to explain this {yIchoHmoH} sentence away as a
> probable mistake, while {choH} is transitive and means "to change
> something", right?

I'm not going to call it "best," but it is certainly possible that
{choH} means "change something," and Okrand forgot this when he used it,
thinking it meant "experience a change."

> Also, David, I think I remember the discussion about the valency change (or
> not) by {-moH}, I didn't have time to look at it myself. Same goes for
> {-lu'} and if it's a passive or not. I am a linguist too, please don't be
> shocked. But I'm not eager on asking provocative questions on this list.

If the interpretation were correct, it would look like this:

    He yIchoH
    Change the course!

    He yIchoHmoH
    Be the cause of you changing the course!

It would be the same difference as

    maghoSchoHneS'a'
    May we begin to go?

    maghoSchoHmoHneS'a' (TKD 4.2.10)