tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 11 04:27:13 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: RE: Klingon Scrabble

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT ([email protected])

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another question from the Canadian Scrabble-maker:
> http://www.creativetrophies.ca
>
> "Another question, how would you advise me to make the tiles; English and
> pIqaD letters and numbers to help learn Klingon and/or just Klingon???"

Personally, I would be interested in a pIqaD-only set.
But I know that there are plenty of Klingonists who have no interest
in learning pIqaD.

I also know that I'd be more likely to get my wife to play if she
could read the tiles...
A few years back, my wife gladly played with qurgh's set and my pocket
dictionary.

Not knowing the costs to the tile maker, I'd suggest offering two sets.

>>Now does anyone want to suggest which letter frequencies we diminish in order to bring the qaghwI' frequency up close to the 'at >>frequency?  I'm fine with leaving the letter values as they are, even though it looks that tlh is overvalued, but it might improve >>playability to have a few more qaghwI'mey kicking around.

I would take all of the frequencies that have been tossed out, and do
a bunch of math to get a more averaged frequency set.
This way we're not basing it all off of one text or one person's writing style.

I would then stare at those numbers and study the distributions here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrabble_letter_distributions

And try to find something comparable.

As it's 7:30 in the morning, I'm going to get some sleep and I'll let
someone else stare at the numbers...

~naHQun
--
~Michael Roney, Jr.