tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 10 22:02:08 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: RE: Klingon Scrabble

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

That's exactly how I pictured it, Rohan. <br><br>
Now does anyone want to suggest which letter frequencies we diminish in
order to bring the qaghwI' frequency up close to the 'at frequency?&nbsp;
I'm fine with leaving the letter values as they are, even though it looks
that tlh is overvalued, but it might improve playability to have a few
more qaghwI'mey kicking around.<br><br>
- Qov<br><br>
At 21:05 '?????' 1/10/2013, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:<br>
&gt; I'm going to venture that the more literary writing, striving to
convey subtle meaning in translation<br>
&gt; has more affixes thus more qaghwI'mey while action adventure
striving to remain comprehensible<br>
&gt; to the maximum number of people has barer verbs.<br><br>
Sounds about right. With action adventure, your noun and verb roots are
carrying the meaning - you don't want subtle nuances that take time to
digest, you want vivid imagery coming thick and fast.<br><br>
jatlhqa':<br>
&gt; Another question from the Canadian Scrabble-maker:
http://www.creativetrophies.ca<br>
</a>&gt; &quot;Another question, how would you advise me to make the
tiles; English and pIqaD letters and numbers<br>
&gt; to help learn Klingon and/or just Klingon???&quot;<br>
&gt; My thought is that if it's just pIqaD, beginners can have a cheat
sheet next to their tile rack and advanced<br>
&gt; pIqaD users can use their heads alone, but if it's both, then our
eyes will automatically see the Latin and<br>
&gt; we won't learn pIqaD as well from it. What do you think?<br><br>
I tend to agree. We have pIqaD, we have number symbols (and they're my
greatest failing in pIqaD right now), and our brains will want to default
into romanised because that's what we're used to. I think it'd be best if
we had pIqaD-only. Perhaps a list of pIqaD-romanised equivalencies could
be put down the sides of the board; on standard Scrabble boards there's
always a list of the letter-points equivalencies, so how about just
adding another column with the pIqaD characters?<br><br>
QeS<br>