tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 01 14:10:34 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: RE: Klingon Scrabble

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

That's an interesting question. Is the letter frequency distribution of a
large piece of text different than the frequency distribution in a
complete wordlist of that language?&nbsp; I think a list compiled just
from TKD affix and vocabulary lists might competitively under-represent
qaghwI', as it's in so many affixes. <br><br>
I found a shortage of qaghwI'mey during game play, but the artificiality
of the arbitrarily high scores for tlh and ng didn't bother me much. It
was just a luck thing.<br><br>
- Qov<br><br>
At 13:21 '?????' 1/1/2013, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:<br>
showcasing my ignorance with regards to Scrabble:<br><br>
Does one actually need a corpus to decide character values for Scrabble?
I imagine that a lexicon along with the rules for appending affixes would
suffice, as the deciding factor is what words can be formed, rather than
what words are most commonly used (or do rare/difficult words weigh more
heavily in that calculation?).<br><br>
<hr>
[[email protected]]<br>
&gt; On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Alan Anderson
&lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; I got it from DloraH, who got it from janSIy, who I believe
originated it.<br><br>
I didn't originate it, but I may have been the first one to bring a
converted set to the qep'a'.&nbsp; I got the frequencies and values off
this very list and I no longer remember who did the calculations or came
up with the values.&nbsp; It was probably 15 years ago.&nbsp; The game is
fun, but the scores are somewhat artificial since the point values were
based on rarity of English letters and so it's weird to have common
letters like &lt;tlh&gt; be worth so many points.&nbsp; I think any new
calculations should be based on Qov's &lt;nuq bop bom&gt;, since that is
a large piece of original tlhIngan Hol writing.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
janSIy<br>