tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 30 15:55:54 2010

Re: choH vs. choHmoH

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

Two additional things (this goes esp. to David T.):
1) Ignore the lonesome "But then" in my message, I forgot to delete it.

2) I was going through my dictionary to find more {moH}-verbs that derive
from transitive ones and I've come across {muv} (join) and {muvmoH}
(recruit). I think, we don't have any canon examples, or do we? Voragh?
I always assumed, {muv} would be transitive, but now I see, this might not
be the case, cause:

If {muv} would be transitive "to join sth.", then {muvmoH} would mean "to
cause to be joined" and its direct object would have to be a group or
society like Starfleet, Facebook or maybe a party. Then the translation that
Okrand gave us, "recruit" would be quite misleading.
If {muv} is intransitive "to join", then {muvmoH} simply means "to cause so.
to join". The group or society being joined would have to be expressed with
{-Daq}... or maybe {-vaD}.

Thus, we made quite a bunch of mistakes in the Klingon translation of
Facebook, there we have:

Facebook yImuv! = Join Facebook!
FacebookDaq juppu'lI' tImuvmoH! = Invite your friends to join Facebook!

But now I think it should rather be:

FacebookDaq yImuv! = Join (in) Facebook!
FacebookDaq juppu'lI' tImuvmoH! = Let your friends join (in) Facebook!
[literally]

Oh my... if that's true, quite a bunch of translations have to be changed.

By the way, now I thought of a good English translation for {-moH} with
transitive verbs: "have X verb-ed", so {He yIchoHmoH!} is "Have the course
changed!".

And "I have my windows cleaned." would be {Qorwaghmey vIlamHa'choHmoHmoH.}
;)

- André

Back to archive top level