tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 07:13:56 2009

RE: "in (language)"

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

toQ:
>> vaj jIQaghqa'be'.
>>
>> Do you think this last sentence shows an acceptable use of the
>> adverbial <vaj>? The Klingon Dictionary defines it as "thus, in
>> that case, so, accordingly, then", all of which also suggest to
>> me a possible usage like the Spanish así or German so, "like this"
>> or "in that manner." Is this too much of a stretch?

ghunchu'wI':
>puplaw'.

FYI {vaj} in canon:

vaj Daleghpu'
Then you have seen it. TKW

bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh Surrender or die! TKD

bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
Buy or die! CK

vaj DatIvba'
Then you're obviously enjoying it. CK

vaj Dargh wIb DatlhutlhnIS
Then you need to drink sour tea. CK

naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK

vaj Daleghpu'
Then you have seen it? ST3

vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'
That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. ST5

HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space... S99

qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon virtues. S13

vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv
You have chosen your weapon, so fight! TKW

qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH je. vaj SuquvmoH.
[untranslated message from Okrand to SuStel (st.k 11/1996)]

tlhIngan Hol DaHaD - vaj choquvmoH. Qapla'!
[Marc Okrand's inscription in DloraH's TKD]

De'vetlh vIQoy, vaj jIQuch
I am happy to hear that information. KGT

qaSuchlaHbe'. jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb
I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped
(or, "I was too late to visit you.") (st.k 1/1998)

N.B. Don't confuse the adverbial {vaj} "then, thus, so, in that case" with {ngugh} "then, at that time" and {ghIq} "then, subsequently" which Okrand revealed on startrek.klingon (11/1999).  When translating "then" {ngugh} describes what happened at a time you have set in a previous sentence; {ghIq} describes an action that occurred subsequent to another, but that was not a result of or contingent on the prior action; {vaj} describes an action that is the consequence or result of another.

I can of course provide examples of these if you want.  <g>

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level