tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 28 10:49:47 2009

Re: "in (language)"

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:11 PM, <[email protected]>
wrote:

> tera'ngan jiH 'ach "Toq" jIpong'egh. jIchu' 'ach jIgholrup.

<jIghojrup> DaghItlhHa'pu'.
batlh bIghojjaj.

>  "in Klingon" jIjatlh vineH. *tlhInganDaq?

{tlhIngan} is a race/species.  The name of the Klingon language is
{tlhIngan Hol}.

The noun suffix {-Daq} refers specifically to physical location.  It
doesn't work for everything "in" can mean in English.

{tlhInganDaq} would be "in/on/towards a/the Klingon", perhaps
referring to someone standing on a Klingon's shoulders. :)

> *tlhInganDaq HIjatlh! "Speak to me in Klingon!"

The object of the verb {jatlh} "speak" can be the language spoken.

   {tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh}
   "Speak Klingon!"

The idea of "to me" can be carried using the noun suffix {-vaD} "for,
intended for".

   {jIHvaD tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh}
   "Speak Klingon to me!"

> *tlhInganDaq jIghItlh. "I am writing in Klingon."

In this case, I would treat the language as a tool and recast the
idea to say

   {jIghItlhmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'}
   "I use Klingon in order to write."

I might change the first word to {jIghItlhtaHvIS...} "...while I am
writing."

> jIjatlhlaH je,*tlhIngan HolDaq jIchu' ("I am new to the Klingon
> language")?

I'd rephrase that as "The Klingon language is new for me."

   {jIHvaD chu' tlhIngan Hol}

> naDev jIQuch! JAFraj jIloS.

juQuchmoHjaj.  nuq 'oS <JAF>?

The verb prefix {jI-} says that the verb has no object.  If you are
waiting for something, {loS} needs a prefix indicating an object: {vI-}

"JAF" looks like it might be the pseudo-pIqaD rendition of the verb
{jang} "answer".  If that's what you meant, you can't use it as a
noun.  To say "I await your answer", change it to "I await that you
all answer me" {tujang 'e' vIloS}.

naDev SoHmo' jIQuch je jIH.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level