tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 22 19:59:37 2009

Re: Klingon Sentence Structure

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Not relevant to what? A discussion of temporal/aspectual differences
between English and Klingon?

Regardless, you seem to think that tense and aspect are binary,
all-or-nothing categories, and they just aren't.  Both English and
Klingon have both tense and aspect: in Klingon, only aspect is
obligatorily marked, but tense can still occur (e.g., wa'leS).  In
English, we're mostly worried about tense, but aspect still occurs
(e.g., "will die" versus "will have died" is largely an issue of
aspect).  You can't just say that any aspect in Klingon and can
translated as any tense in English because tense and aspect aren't the
same thing.

Chris

Back to archive top level