tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 21 12:36:27 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: Klingon Sentence Structure
Tracy Canfield (email@example.com)
- From: Tracy Canfield <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Klingon Sentence Structure
- Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:34:57 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=4nOosLFqbb5d37iIrpnV9lcl/TANQ+b+MzCO+VQEMyE=; b=s3cZUNmH3HrU8JErDsLzM1epDQMHQ0BRohIf3PYSkey50wc70hO79t7K5aaTUMQd+L QUb7sMsOGUmUDLmMo/BcXL627W13wvAL4CeMovXV68OPOcCDyaCYP9SvewHy3KxKHIV6 FiPHGKBmWLHRRpMU3HT7f54Xko2yQGTE2kvmE=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=JEonCywuVnPjG51dzQtuQ28d4Y5waSir4+KMZhxdFP/H5vfZC26Z2K0RGngQ0z4eKX URovlV6GGXmuiL6MBHKGlkoGm/K+CvWfNrhHAb297eNG+NDzBN6+MoaHqNfqbxXncExE tZFrSdI+tybE4iMvwnXXO3BJODEKOHo9zIgvQ=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
I'd say that the aspect suffix depends on a larger context. If I
heard the English sentence on its own, I'd assume the speaker meant
both "on one occasion in particular" and "now we're back", but that
wouldn't have to be true.
In French, for example, which marks aspect in the past tense, we have
Samedi on a visité la terre <- just once, perfective
We visited Earth on Friday
Le samedi on visitait la terre <- repeatedly, imperfective
We visited Earth every Friday
The same English verb, "visited", can describe either the completed or
the repeated action. So I agree that its translation doesn't
necessarily require a perfective suffix.
2009/11/21 Terrence Donnelly <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
> --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Tracy Canfield <email@example.com> wrote:
>> Finally, since the visit is completed, we need an aspect
>> suffix -
>> something that tells whether an action is completed, in
>> progress, or
>> neither. The marker for a completed action is -pu'.
>> visited - wISuchpu'
>> Put them all together and you get
>> tera' wISuchpu' jIH SoH je
> I would dispute the need for the aspect suffix; otherwise, very nicely put.
> -- ter'eS