tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 30 19:28:50 2008

Re: Yes I Know

Christopher Fulkerson, Ph.D. wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks.   There is a pretty raw effect on people's nerves from the mailing
> list-style of communication.   I have gotten an answer, which you
> apparently haven't read; you are writing with frustration in your style,
> like almost everybody else here.

Am I? I think you're reading others' messages' tones into mine. I saw
where your misunderstanding was and tried to give a clear explanation of
the difference. I didn't receive the other answer to this until
afterward; sometimes list mail arrives out of sequence.

> If this is what one has to put up with
> everywhere one goes here, I might not make it... but apparently that is
> what is wanted?   It is definitely the case that I have never in my life
> encountered a group of people less able to speak civilly...

Then you obviously haven't socialized much on the Internet!

It is most certainly true that online communication has its own style.
You must be careful not to read the wrong connotations into things. This
is, unfortunately, very easy to do. As many people here know, I am far
from the most capable of transmitting the proper tone through my messages.

Believe me, there are groups on the Internet that makes this list look
like a well-mannered Victorian tea party!

--
SuStel
Stardate 8750.4

Back to archive top level