tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 24 09:58:49 2002

Re: Deconstructing {law'/puS}

>Voragh:
>>>There's another example of this sort of thing from SkyBox S7,
>>>which contains two comparisons:
>>>
>>>   DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq 'op
>>>     SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS
>>>   It [IKV Pagh] has the best weapons and some of the finest warriors in the
>>>     Klingon fleet.
>>>
>>>where {DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh} "the Klingon weapons
>>>located on this ship" and {DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh} "some
>>>of the warriors on this ship" are the A element in the formula {A
>>>Q law' B Q puS}.
>
>tulwI':
>>i don't understand this sentence.
>>/DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS/
>>
>>some of the warriors on this ship are more skilled than /tlhIngan
>>yo' SuvwI' law' po'/.
>>what does /tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po'/ mean?
>
>There are two {law'}s in this sentence:  the first is part of the
>law'/puS formula {A Q law' B Q puS}, and the second is part of the B
>phrase ({SuvwI' law'} "many warriors"):
>
>   tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'
>   the Klingon fleet's many warrior(s)
>
>I've marked A and B (the two things being compared) with angle brackets:
>
>   <DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh> po' law' <tlhIngan yo' SuvwI'
>law'> po' puS
>    -------------- A --------------   Q  law'  ---------- B
>-----------   Q  puS

Voragh,
thank you very much.

/DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh/ - some of the warriors on this ship
/thlIngan yo' SuvwI' law'/ - many warriors of the klingon fleet

so, all in all, it is:
some of the warriors on this ship are more skilled than many warriors
of the klingon fleet.
and then it can be rewritten more easily to:
this ship has some of the most skilled warriors of the klingon fleet.

:)

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level