tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 16:46:42 2002

Re: multiple N-ns5 in the "header area"

'ISqu':
> >> wa'Hu' Qe'Daq yajHa'ghachmo' tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
> >> [Yesterday in the restaurant, due to misunderstanding, the waiter
> >> almost gave the officer the wrong dish.]

Voragh:
> > This sounds good to me, but I might have re-ordered the elements as:
 >
 >    yajHa'ghachmo', wa'Hu' Qe'Daq tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
 >    Due to a misunderstanding, yesterday at the restaurant the waiter
 >    almost gave the officer the wrong dish.
> >
> > as {-mo'} phrases tend to precede the main clause.

I meant to say that I don't think we've seen a {-mo'} clause show up in the
middle of headers, as a parenthetical comment, as is often the case in
English.

We can re-phrase this with varying punctuation:

   wa'Hu' Qe'Daq yajHa'ghachmo', tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
   Due to a misunderstanding yesterday at the restaurant, the waiter
    almost gave the officer the wrong dish.

   wa'Hu' yajHa'ghachmo', Qe'Daq tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
   Yesterday due to a misunderstanding, the waiter almost gave the
    officer the wrong dish at the restaurant.

   Qe'Daq yajHa'ghachmo', wa'Hu' tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
   Due to a misunderstanding at the restaurant, the waiter almost
    gave the officer the wrong dish yesterday.

SuStel:
>Elsewhere (the TKD Addendum, I think), Okrand tells us that time elements
>tend to come before everything else.

SuStel is right; time elements do tend to come first.  (Another question
arises: Is this a grammatical requirement of the language or just Maltz's
personal stylistic preference?)  Here are some examples with two "headers"
of various types, one of which is a time element:

   DaHjaj nom Soppu'
   Today they ate quickly. TKD

   qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?
   Recently, how many times has someone heard it? (i.e. What time is it?)
[st.k 2/99]

   reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
   The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

   roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
   It [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

   ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh?
   When can I return to my room? CK

   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
   May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

But Okrand always provides a counter-example:

   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv. pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
    we battle forever. (Anthem)

Of course this is a song, and the word order may need to reflect the beat
of the music or other rhymes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons