tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 15:08:20 2002

Re: multiple N-ns5 in the "header area"

'ISqu':
> > wa'Hu' Qe'Daq yajHa'ghachmo' tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
> > [Yesterday in the restaurant, due to misunderstanding, the waiter almost
> > gave the officer the wrong dish.]

This sounds good to me, but I might have re-ordered the elements as:

   yajHa'ghachmo' wa'Hu' Qe'Daq tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
   Due to a misunderstanding, yesterday in the restaurant the waiter
   almost gave the officer the wrong dish.

as {-mo'} phrases tend to precede the main clause.

Since we know that {-ghach} nouns are quite rare - at least they are in the
canon - I suspect a Klingon would probably have used the verb {yajHa'} instead:

   yajHa'mo', wa'Hu' Qe'Daq tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.
   Because he misunderstood, the waiter almost gave the officer the
   wrong dish yesterday in the restaurant.

or even (because Klingon often repeats the subject if it governs both clauses):

   yajHa'mo' jabwI', wa'Hu' Qe'Daq tlhoS yaSvaD nay' muj nob jabwI'.

just to keep straight exactly who misunderstood:  the waiter or the officer.

> > [Is there a limit on how many nouns with type 5 suffixes can occur in
> > the "header area"?]

DloraH:
>We also have the one that uses 'ev, tIng and chan.
>(I don't have that phrase with me right now.)

Here's the relevant portion of Okrand's post to startrek.klingon (Sun, 21
Nov 1999) on the cardinal directions:

   There is an idiomatic expression still heard with reasonable frequency
   which makes use of all three cardinal direction terms:

     tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq

   Literally, this means "from area-southwestward to area-northwestward to
   area eastward", but the idiom means "all around, all over, all over the
   place." It is used in the same place in a sentence that the noun {Dat}
   "everywhere" might be used, but it is much more emphatic:

     tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq jIlengpu'
     "I've traveled all over the place"

   A more archaic form of the idiom is {tIngvo' 'evDaq 'evvo' chanDaq}
   (literally, "from area-southwestward to area-northwestward, from area-
   northwestward to area eastward"), but the three-word version (without
   the repetition of {'ev}) has all but totally replaced it.

Note the "archaic form" with four suffixes!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level