tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 28 00:28:32 2001

Re: Klingon translation interest

> > SuStel:
> > > You mean how can Sentence As Object be used when the second verb is
> > > really a pronoun?  I doubt that you can.

Jiri:
> > Hmm, <<jaw ghoS 'e' jIH>> (I am the Way). But there's probably better
> > ways of saying that.

SuStel:
> I guarantee that a Klingon would take one look at that, take out his
> disruptor pistol, and vaporize you.

That's a distinct possibility, of course, and not just because of the
grammar.

> "To be" sentences are not your normal sentence.  Pronouns are not verbs,
> they're pronouns.

Hmm, to pour petrol on the flames, can one use <jIHghach> for "ego"?
(Presumably then <jIHghachHom> for "id" and <jIHghach'a'> for "overself",
if your philosophy has that.)

> > > Do you mean how can Sentence as object be used when the second verb
> > > is a verb of quality?  They don't take objects, so you can't.

> > Yeah, that's what I meant. Is there a standard idiom around that?

> No.  That would make the previous sentence the subject of the verb of
> quality, and TKD explicitly says that /'e'/ can only be the object.  Find
> a good noun or recast.

> It is good that you killed the enemy.
> QaQ jagh HeghmoHghachlIj.

> Or, if you fear /-ghach/,

*You do not see the -ghach. If you do not see the -ghach it cannot hurt
you. Fear the -ghach.*

Hmm, I think I have a new Type 6 suffix, /-vnorD/.

> jagh DaHoHpu'.  maj.

Which doesn't really join up to a <'e' Har>, though.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools