tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 27 19:01:12 2001

Re: Klingon translation interest

From: "Jiri Baum" <[email protected]>
> SuStel:
> > You mean how can Sentence As Object be used when the second verb is
> > really a pronoun?  I doubt that you can.
>
> Hmm, <<jaw ghoS 'e' jIH>> (I am the Way). But there's probably better ways
> of saying that.

I guarantee that a Klingon would take one look at that, take out his
disruptor pistol, and vaporize you.

"To be" sentences are not your normal sentence.  Pronouns are not verbs,
they're pronouns.  They have a special role when it comes to saying that
something *is*, or that one thing is another thing.  I don't think we've
ever seen one pronoun relate to another, especially /'e'/.

Technically possible?  Yes.  Acceptable?  No, by Kahless!  This is something
that the "to be" form wasn't meant to do.

> > Do you mean how can Sentence as object be used when the second verb is a
> > verb of quality?  They don't take objects, so you can't.
>
> Yeah, that's what I meant. Is there a standard idiom around that?

No.  That would make the previous sentence the subject of the verb of
quality, and TKD explicitly says that /'e'/ can only be the object.  Find a
good noun or recast.

It is good that you killed the enemy.
QaQ jagh HeghmoHghachlIj.

Or, if you fear /-ghach/,