tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 13:24:30 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] {qoSta'} clarified

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> IIRC wasn't {'ul 'aplo'mey} listed in TalkNow! along with
>> {mIllogh qonwI'} "camera" and {mIllogh qonwI' qoSta'} "film" ?

Lieven:
> "along with" is said too much, except that they are in the same category
> "shopping". There are several different entries in between those words.

Right, so much for that idea!  So, shopping for the odds and ends a tourist might need then.

>> Are modern camera batteries rectangular?
>
> The batteries shown in the TN are the same as they have been used during
> the past thrity years or longer, round, two inch long, half inch thick.
> Modern cameras can use these standard batteries, but if they are
> rechargable, they usually are rectangular.
>
> IIRC MO did not see the images when he worked on the translation. qe'San
> had everything translated as much as he was able to and then gave his list
> to Okrand to complete it.
>
> I guess that Okrand just had to think about "batteries", and thought
> something like "thing carrying electricity... Hey, I got the qoSta'
> 'aplo', so this is the 'ul 'aplo'..."
>
> Just in my own imagination, of course ;- )[]

As you may recall when we first heard of the word, I imagine that Okrand had forgotten he'd already come up with {HoS Hal} "power supply" for SkyBox S14:

  nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH
   tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
  The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
   attached to an extended power supply stock. (S14)

When used with phasers, these are called "power packs" by the Federation in TOS "The Omega Glory".  Sounds like a battery to me.  <g>

{HoS Hal} (two words) is not to be confused with {HoSHal} "energy source" which seems to refer to a power generating (or refueling?) facility in Monopoly:

  HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh
   mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
  If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total
   ten times amount shown. (MKE)

  pIvghor yIchu' 'ej HoSHal Sumqu' yIjaH
  Advance to the nearest energy source. (MKE)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons