tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 10:01:08 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] {qoSta'} clarified

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Steven Boozer:
>> So what do a game boxes, (audio?) cassettes and batteries have
>> in common?

Lieven:
> My idea was that {'aplo'} might mean exactly what we translate as
> "container".  What they have in common?
>
> - A cassette is a container of the {wab qoSta'}.
> - A battery is a container of {'ul}.
> - The MKE-box is the container of the game.
>
> That's what they all have in common. But that's only my point of view.
>
> This is all just speculative, but it is only our personal feeling that
> "contain+er" is translated literally as {ngaS + wI'}.

Aha!  I finally see your point:  {ngaSwI'} "container" has never officially appeared in canon, although it is widely used by us.  (In fact, the word has been so often used by us that I had to check my notes to verify this.)

[It does BTW appear in the ST:Klingon! (KCD) novelization (p.85f.) and maybe the game itself (can someone check?):

    The bartender nodded and before a moment passed he had
  returned with three bottles. He sat them on the bar and
  pointed at each in turn.
    "{ngaSwI' wej. HIvje'mey.}"

As I recall the bartender wasn't a Klingon, so that may explain his grammar:  "Bottle(s).  three. Glasses."  (Note that this appeared before {bal} was published in KGT although {bIQ bal} "water jug" was used in the KCD game itself.)]

So you're saying that {'aplo'} is the actual word for "container" - instead of the theoretical nomen agentis *{ngaSwI'} - or at least the one in current use?  {qegh} "vat, barrel", {'Ib} "tub", {bal} "jug, jar, bottle", etc. would then be specialized types of {'aplo'mey}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons