tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 08:05:42 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] {qoSta'} clarified

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> Klingon Monopoly ngaSwI'Daq "Contents" mughlu'meH, {ngaS 'aplo'}
>> lo'lu'pu'. vaj ngaQnIStaHbe' 'aplo'.

Lieven:
> vaj chaq ngaSwI' 'oH 'aplo''e'.

Well it's clearly some sort of container, which is implied by the note on the Klingon Monopoly box:

  ngaS 'aplo' 			"CONTENTS:" (MKE)

which isn't helpful as this only means "the {'aplo'} contains:" followed by a list of all the bits and bobs in the box used for playing the game.

I know of two more examples of {'aplo'}, both from TalkNow! (Is {'aplo'} mentioned in the paq'batlh?)

  wab qoSta' 'aplo' 		cassette (TNK)
  'ul 'aplo'mey 			batteries (TNK)

So what do a game boxes, (audio?) cassettes and batteries have in common?

Even though we don't have a precise definition for {'aplo'}, we do know how to talk about one:

HQ 8.3:  The word for "top" is {yor}. This refers to the top side or top face of an object, such as the top of a box or the top of a table or even the top of one's head. It is not the word used for lid or cover or cap (as in lid of a jar) or removable (and reusable) top of a box. The word for this kind of top or lid or cover is {yuvtlhe'}. The word for bottom, the counterpart of {yor}, is {pIrmuS}. This word refers to the underside of something, not the interior bottom (such as the bottom of a well or the bottom of a bowl where a few drops of milk remain after eating cereal). The word for the interior bottom of something is {bIS'ub}. If an item is located in the bottom of a box, it is located in the box's {bIS'ub}. If something is found underneath a box, it is found beneath the box's {pIrmuS}.

... and as we've seen from the MKE box, you can use the verb is {ngaS} "contain (have inside)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons