tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 28 08:34:03 2010

Re: 'u': the first authentic Klingon opera on earth

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Okay, so what happened on Earth in 1164? On September 14th, Empiror Sutoku of Japan was born. On July 12, there was the Battle of Harim: Nur ad-Din defeats the Crusader armies of the County of Tripoli and the Principality of Antioch. I can't find much else worth mention.
Surely, there's a pun in here somewhere...

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

> Hmm, I don't think I've mentioned yet how much epic win this project strikes me as being made of.
> So, just to put it out there:  This is made of epic win! :D
>
> For those of you who haven't seen the Klingon replies that they link to on their homepage, I really recommend you check them out; the warriors of Khemorex Klinzhai put on an impressive show of Klin!
>
> Voragh:
>> I imagined that "Federation linguist" Okrand may have been being clever.
>> "September 9" would mean nothing to Klingons on Kronos - unless they've
>> been monitoring us for years (we know the Vulcans are) - but their astronomers
>> might be able to calculate when the day preceding our summer solstice occurs.
>
> Aye, they may be able to do that.  It would seem more or less impossible to do with modern science in such short a time period, but if this is the 846th year of Kahless, the Klingons should have had Hur'q technology for a while, now.
> Of course, they have to, if they want to have any hope of getting here on time for the show...  ...or to intercept this subspace/tachyonic/something-else message ;)
>
> Voragh:
>> I respect what Okrand has done in creating the language. I also respect how
>> hard it is to perform in front of a camera, speaking a language he doesn't use
>> very often. Meanwhile, even with all that respect, I often wince when he tries
>> to stretch the language to fit a translation he's been given, or when he forgets
>> basic stuff like putting {-'e'} after a subject of a pronoun.
>
> Indeed.  As he's put it a couple of times, he may have created the language, but it's has taken on a life of its own.
> That being said, all the more kudos to him for availing himself to fans in ways such as this :)
>
> Voragh:
>> In other words, it takes time to heat up the mass of earth, water and air. So,
>> the hottest application of solar heat (summer solstice -- the longest day),
>> doesn't make for the hottest day because of thermal inertia.
>
> Oopsies; promise me you won't tell my fellow physics students that I forgot to take into account the fact that big rocks take time to heat up :P
>
> As you say, the hottest day of the year is usually about a month after the Summer solstice, so I suppose the Summer solstice could be seen as some sort of dramatic opening act...  ...perhaps preceded by some sort of prelude.
>
> ghItlhta' SuStel:
>> This is an old argument, and I'm pleased to see that Marc didn't English
>> this. One more piece of evidence that a verb's arguments and its prefix
>> must agree.

> [...]

Back to archive top level