tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 10:49:58 2010

SV: 'u': the first authentic Klingon opera on earth

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Voragh:
>  may' ghe'naQna' lumuchrup tera'nganpu'

I'm quite certain that there's no na' in there.  There's only one syllable between naQ and much, and I'm pretty sure it's lu- (which is also necessary for the grammar to be correct).

Voragh:
> BTW, note how he finessed "we Terrans" as simply {tera'nganpu'}.  I would have done it as:
>
> ? may' ghe'naQna' wImuch tera'nganpu'

It's been my understanding that there are two different schools of thought in this matter:  One which likes specifying first- and second-person subjects/objects in this manner, and one that feels that only third-person subjects and objects can/should be specified in this way.
So, for instance, one might say:

la'lI' HIlob beq! {Bekk!  Obey me, your commander!}

...while the other would insist that you should say:

la'lI' jIH.  beq SoH.  HIlob! {I am your commander.  You are a Bekk.  Obey me!}

...'ach DoS vIchIl. {...but I digress.}

Voragh:
> Also, no {-na'} "authentic" on {ghe'naQ}?
> [...]
> Not {pong'e'}?

Nope on both accounts.

Felix:
> or {A warm-season-beginning which precedes a day.}

Error on my part; I meant "A warm-season-beginning which is preceded by one day."

Voragh:
> Is Okrand being accurate here?  Does the September 9 premier occur one day before the summer solstice?

Nope; the Summer solstice is always in June.
I don't think he meant "one day before/after" (that would be a case for leS), but rather "one of the days that is before/after".  Specifically, "one of the days which the Summer solstice precedes".

Voragh:
> {qaStaHvIS} should precede the year number:

Agreed, but this is a sensible shorthand notation; the meaning is quite clear from context.

Voragh:
> Thanks for transcribing this guys.

qa' wIje'meH maQaH.

//Felix