tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 09:09:29 2010

Re: 'u': the first authentic Klingon opera on earth

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Here's what I hear Okrand say (checking back with the subtitles). I'll put them in line below.

On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Joris Favie (on behalf of the 'u' team) wrote:
>> It was just mentioned on the list, so I thought I'd present some more
>> information about the Klingon opera 'u'.
>>
>> To quickly answer Steven Boozer: yes, Marc Okrand is involved with the
>> project. There is also a personal video message from him on the
>> website: http://www.u-theopera.org
>
> Fascinating.  Unfortunately my computer doesn't have a sound card installed and so I can't hear Okrand's "Message to Kronos".  Can you post Okrand's Klingon text?  Here are the English subtitles from his YouTube video:
>
> "Klingons of Kronos - sons and daughters of Kahless.

Qo'noS tlhInganpu' - qeylIS puqloDpu' puqbe'pu' je:

>  I hail you from Earth.

tera'vo' SarI'.

>  I am Marc Okrand and I bring you an important message.

Marc Okrand jIH. De' potlh vIlab.

>  We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera.

[Weird grammar alert:]
may' ghe'naQ numuchlu' tera'nganpu'.
[Very loose translation, very strange grammar. Maybe someone else hears something that makes more sense?]

>  The name of the opera is {'u'}.

'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong.

>  {'u'} will be the first authentic battle opera performed on our planet.

yuQmajDaq may' ghe'naQ wa'DIch wIQoybogh 'oH 'u'.
[He apparently omitted the {-'e'} from {'u'}.]

>  When, you ask?

ghorgh lumuch?
[Rather loose translation, but I understand why.]

>  In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year of Kahless 846.

poH tuj bI' reS numbogh wa' jaj. [WTF? Surely I am mistaken here. Maybe {bIleS numbogh wa' jaj}?]
qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav qaStaHVIS.

>   We will place a homing device transmitting this message at the site of the opera.

ghe'naQ Daqvo' QInvam wIlab.

>  We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable emissaries to witness this glorious event.

wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH 'e' lutul tera'nganpu'.

>  We hope you can join us while we honor Kahless.

qeylIS wIquvmoHtaHvIS chetlhej wIneH.

>  We fight to enrich the spirit!"

qa' wIje'meH maSuv.

Qapla'.

[End of translation.]

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

> This is the longest connected text he has ever written in Klingon (other than the libretto to {'u'} of course. <g>).  In fact, a link to all the {tlhIngan Hol} texts on your site would be useful.

Back to archive top level