tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 10:12:39 2010

RE: 'u': the first authentic Klingon opera on earth

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Fascinating.  Unfortunately my computer doesn't have a sound card
>>installed and so I can't hear Okrand's "Message to Kronos". Can you post
>>Okrand's Klingon text?  Here are the English subtitles from his YouTube
>>video:

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>Here's what I hear Okrand say (checking back with the subtitles). I'll
>put them in line below.
>
>>I am Marc Okrand and I bring you an important message.
> Marc Okrand jIH.  De' potlh vIlab.

He's used {De' potlh} before in the BOP Poster:

  tlhIngan toQDuj Duj De' potlh
  Klingon Bird of Prey General Specifications

>>We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera.
> may' ghe'naQ numuchlu' tera'nganpu'.
>
>[Weird grammar alert:]
>[Very loose translation, very strange grammar. Maybe someone else hears
>something that makes more sense?]

This could be {may' ghe'naQna'} "an authentic battle opera", so I would expect:

  may' ghe'naQna' lumuch tera'nganpu'.

Are you sure you hear {muchlu'}?

Felix:
| I believe he says:
|   may' ghe'naQ lumuchrup tera'nganpu'.
|   {The humans are prepared to present a battle opera.}

Felix's suggestion makes more sense.  So:

  may' ghe'naQna' lumuchrup tera'nganpu'
  the Terrans are prepared to perform an authentic battle opera

BTW, note how he finessed "we Terrans" as simply {tera'nganpu'}.  I would have done it as:

  ? may' ghe'naQna' wImuch tera'nganpu'

>>The name of the opera is {'u'}.
> 'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong.

Not {pong'e'}?

>>{'u'} will be the first authentic battle opera performed on our planet.
> yuQmajDaq may' ghe'naQ wa'DIch wIQoybogh 'oH 'u'.
>
>[He apparently omitted the {-'e'} from {'u'}.]

As he did in the previous line.  Also, no {-na'} "authentic" on {ghe'naQ}?

>>When, you ask?
> ghorgh lumuch?
>
>[Rather loose translation, but I understand why.]

"When will they perform it?"

>>In the days that follow the summer solstice
> poH tuj bI' reS numbogh wa' jaj.
>
> [WTF? Surely I am mistaken here. Maybe {bIleS numbogh wa' jaj}?]

{bI'reS} "beginning (of an opera, play, story, speech, etc.)" is right (see HQ 12.2:8):

  poH tuj bI'reS
  the beginning of the hot period (season)

Felix:
| Sounds to me like:
|   poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj.
| {A day which precedes the warm season's (opera/play/speech/...)-beginning.}
| or {A warm-season-beginning which precedes a day.}
|
| He might have meant something like "The opera begins on a day which is
| preceded by the warm period of time."
|
| That, or the Summer solstice is called poH tuj bI'reS ("the warm period's
| beginning", "the summer's opening act"), and he meant
|   wa' jaj'e' nungbogh toH puj bI'reS
|  {a day which is preceded by the warm season's opening act}.
| That makes some sense; the Klingon day cycle goes from sunrise to sunrise, so
| perhaps the Summer solstice is not "Midsummer" in their minds, but rather the
| first day of Summer. ...although at the same time, while the days keep getting
| brighter following the dawn, the days keep getting darker after the Summer
| solstice, so that wouldn't make it much a poH tuj.

Is Okrand being accurate here?  Does the September 9 premier occur one day before the summer solstice?

>> in the Year of Kahless 846.
> qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav qaStaHvIS.

{qaStaHvIS} should precede the year number:

  qaStaHvIS qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav.

>>We will place a homing device transmitting this message at the site
>>of the opera.
> ghe'naQ Daqvo' QInvam wIlab.

"We will transmit this message from site of the opera."

Hmm... I would have added {-qa'} "again" or {-taH} "continuously" to the verb.

Pity.  No new word for "homing device".

Thanks for transcribing this guys.

--
Voragh