tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 17:34:16 2009

Similies - <sentence expressing quality>; <noun phrase> rur

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Original thread was [Re: 'oQqar pe'pu'bogh; naQHommey rur ghIq mIQpu']

----- Original Message by SuStel -----
[.. ..]
>>> This says, "Cut roots; they resemble fingers."
>>
>> I'm not sure what's wrong there or do you mean that I am saying
>> "roots that resemble fingers are cut"?  If that's so I agree that is
>> not what I want.
>
> No, I mean you're trying to mimic Okrand's similes in KGT (pp. 127–133),
> but you're doing it wrong. In every one of his similes he uses this
> format:
>
> <sentence expressing quality>; <noun phrase> rur
>
> What you're doing is this:
>
> <noun phrase>; <noun phrase> rur

DaH jIyajchu'

That's very clear

SovwIj waHmeH

So I could say - [pe'moH; nItlhDu' rur] for "cut; like fingers" as it's just
a verb in the quality position but the moment I add a noun depending on it's
position I either create a sentence or make the verb act adjectively on the
noun. Both being incorrect useage??

> Okrand's similes are two complete sentences; yours are an isolated noun
> phrase and a complete sentence. You should probably decide whether you
> want an overall noun phrase (which you can plug into a sentence) or
> complete sentences (which you can use independently).

qe'San

Back to archive top level