tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 18:47:10 2009

Re: Similies - <sentence expressing quality>; <noun phrase> rur

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Mon, 7/27/09, qe'San (Jon Brown) <[email protected]> wrote:

> So I could say - [pe'moH; nItlhDu' rur] for "cut; like
> fingers" as it's just
> a verb in the quality position but the moment I add a noun
> depending on it's
> position I either create a sentence or make the verb act
> adjectively on the
> noun. Both being incorrect useage??

Not exactly. The problem with your original phrase was that {-bogh} verbs can't be the main verb in a sentence. {'oQqar pe'lu'bogh} lacks a main verb, so it is not a sentence, only a noun phrase, noun + relative verb.

But although {pe'moH} is a main verb, it is not the one you want. {pe'} means "to cut something", and {pe'moH} is the causative form of that: someone causes someone to cut something. What you want is {pe'lu'}. Omitting the {-bogh} makes it a main verb: {'oQqar pe'lu'; nItlhDu' rur}.

--ter'eS

Back to archive top level