tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 17:33:57 2009

Re: 'oQqar pe'pu'bogh; naQHommey rur ghIq mIQpu'

seruq ([email protected])

> >> {N1 N2} is a genitive construction. It may mean possession, or it
> >> may mean that N1 is a sub-type of N2. (What type of {Hol}?
> >> {tlhIngan Hol}.) {'oQqar naQHom} could mean "the root's stick" or
> >> it could mean "root-stick." The correct meaning must come from
> >> context.
> >
> > Thank you I had not known of the sub type for general use apart from
> > where MO had used it. Because I'd thought I wasn't allowed to make
> > that assumption I would only use my own N-N construction if I could
> > stick with N2 of N1 or N1's N2. With regard to tlhIngan Hol, I'd
> > always seen it as Klingon's Language, Language of Klingon. Aside from
> > this thread that is useful to know.
>
> There are examples from Marc Okrand that make this very clear. The one I
> always remember is {baS 'In} "metal percussion instrument" from KGT.
> Both {baS} "metal" and {'In} "percussion instrument" are nouns, and the
> phrase certainly does not mean "the metal's drum."

Whether it is "possession" or "subtype", or whatever else, the universal formula I use is "of all the n2, the one that has to do with n1."

tlhIngan Hol - of all the languages, the one that has to do with klingon.

'oQqar naQ(Hom) - of all the sticks, the kind that have to do with this type of root.

baS 'In - of all the drums, the type that has to do metal.

qor HoD - of all the captains, the one named qor.

puq paq - of all the books, the one that has to do with the child. (The child's book)

DloraH

Back to archive top level