tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 11:20:18 2009

Re: Alternatives to Code2000 PUA Klingon Font

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 2 Jul 2009, at 18:49, qurgh lungqIj wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Michael Everson
> <[email protected]>wrote:
>>
>> Opening them back up in FontLab shows that certain OpenType headers
>> and names have been stripped out. That's bad.

> Bad how?

It's a bad thing for OpenType headers and names to get lost somehow.

> I simply used FontLab Studio 5 to open the fonts and then clicked
> on "Generate Font". I changed nothing.

I understand that. I didn't say you did a bad thing.

> Those "bad" things must have already been in the font I downloaded.

No no there's something strange going on here. My font validates fine
here but apparently something is happening between here and there.
I've never had this kind of issue happen before.

> Unless there are special things you have to enable in FontLab to
> stop it from making "bad" fonts.

Attached here is the validation report I get locally on the font.
Nothing wrong with any of its tables. But something is happening
either in compression or transmission.

See http://www.evertype.com/fonts/tlh/hasta-ok.png for 10.5.7 and http://www.evertype.com/fonts/tlh/hasta-ok-104.png
  for 10.4.11

> I'll take a working font with missing OpenType headers over a non-
> working
> font with those headers.

I understand that but what's happening here is new to me. I've never
had such a thing happen before.

> Or, as I asked already, you can explain what is broken, why it's
> bad, and
> how I fix it myself. I have all the same tools you do (and if I
> don't, I'll
> get them). If it's a long process, feel free to mail me off list.

I'll walk you through the whole thing, but there's no point if one of
the things I'm doing here is causing the problem -- I don't want you
to come across the same problem! I've asked ghunchu'wI' (who kindly
went through part of the process he used to get the error message) to
get his FontBook to generate an image like the one I linked to.