tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 09:37:15 2009

Re: Alternatives to Code2000 PUA Klingon Font

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 2 Jul 2009, at 17:17, qurgh lungqIj wrote:

>> What does "open" mean in this context?
>
> I double clicked on it. In Windows 7 and Vista you double click a
> font to
> "open" it, then you click the "Install" button to have the system
> copy it
> over to the font dir. You don't just move the file over anymore, the
> system
> has security in place to prevent unauthorized access to Windows's
> system
> files.

OK. I only have XP running under Parallels, and you don't install that
way. Or I never do. Actually I ought to test them there...

> It gives me the "This is not a valid font file" error. I was able to
>>> open them in Fontlab Sudio 5 though, regenerate them and then they
>>> worked.
>>
>> That's odd. I generated them from FontLab Studio 5.
>
> Maybe the compression messed them up. Did you generate them on a Mac
> or on
> Windows?

I also suspect the compression. I used the OS X Finder to compress; I
have just used StuffIt now to compress again and have uploaded the
fonts again, so if you would check them out that would be great.

The file sizes after using Stuffit were different from using the
Finder, so perhaps that was the issue.

> Bad character names? I didn't know pIqaD letters had names....
> jIyajbe'.

The PUA characters do. We'll get to that after debugging these!