tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 21 08:59:15 2009

RE: Facebook in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>> but how about using *{jup bey'} "friend display"?  See:
>>
>>> bey'         ceremonial display KGT, exhibit KCD
>>> betleH bey'  bat'leth Display KCD
>>> nuH bey'     Pride of Weapons (a ceremonial display of weapons) KCD
>>> quv bey'     Honor Display (a ceremonial display of weapons) KCD

De'vID:
>>Your wall is a place where you can display things for your friends (and
>>also where they can display things for you, if you allow it).  So <bey'>
>>is on the right track, but <jup bey'> sounds like you're displaying your
>>friends, or it might refer to a <jup>'s <bey'> (a "friend's wall" would
>>then be <jup jup bey'>), which would be confusing.

Then how about just {bey'} by itself?  If it's a general, all-purpose display place, you could add {le'be'} "be unexceptional, be nonspecific, be general":

HQ 5.2.  Since my office is in a different building from the company reception desk I prefer to give people the number of the fax machine closest to my desk. I put both numbers on the letterhead, labeling them in English Klingon fax and general fax. Dr. Okrand suggested {le'be'} for "general", and so of course that's what I used.  [Mark Mandel on {nav HablI' le'be'} "general FAX (vs. a private machine)"]

... or {lo' law'} "utility, general purpose":

  cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
  2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck  (KBoP)

  lo' law' lojmIt
  utility hatch  (KBoP)

So, *{bey' le'be'} or *{lo' law' bey'}?

--