tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 30 14:04:43 2008

RE: To the List Regiment

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Christopher:
>> As to the Master of the Klingons, I will not be impressed unless
>> you can tell me where the plot of beloved Klingon Homeworld dirt is
>> located on this planet.   Until then, brush up on your Shakespeare
>> - I do not accept your authority, and your claim is without honor.

ghunchu'wI':
> I believe you've misread Voragh's signature.  He calls himself the
> "Ca'Non Master" -- a play on the term "canon" meaning the definitive
> works of an author.  In this case, it refers to his demonstrated
> knowledge of and ability to provide quotes from and references to
> just about anything written about Klingon by Marc Okrand (and
> others).  Note that he has *demonstrated* this, for more years than
> he might want to admit.

For those who've wondered... I started calling myself that as a joke because in the TV episodes (1) many Klingon names have an apostrophe in the middle to make them look more "alien"; and (2) Klingon "masters" are known to exist (e.g. Basai Master [a type of poet emeritus in DS9 "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places"] and Dahar Master [old Kor was one in DS9 "Blood Oath"; {Da'ar} is apparently a Klingon martial art]).

ghunchu'wI':
>                             You're new here, and you are certainly
> entitled to reserve judgement about anyone's "authority" -- but you
> should probably hold of on *challenging* authority until you have
> spent some time getting acquainted with the regular participants here.

When Christopher's ready to do that in Klingon, here's some vocabulary that's not in _The Klingon Dictionary_ he might want to use:

KGT 157:  {ngup}:  Literally meaning "cape}, this slang term is an example of metonymy, whereby one word (or phrase) stands for another with which it is associated. In this case, the leader of the Klingon High Council typically wears a ceremonial cape. The slang sense of {ngup} does not refer only to this position on the High Council, however, but to anyone in power or even to "the power structure." Someone unsatisfied with the status quo, a rebel, might be said to want to {ngup qaD} ("challenge those in charge"; literally, "challenge the cape") Nonslang equivalents of ngup are woQ (authority, political power) and qum (government)." (KGT 157)

HQ 12.3:9:  The idea expressed by "exceed one's authority" might be translated {wogh} "transgress, do more than is acceptable". {bIwogh}, literally "you transgress" or "you do more than is acceptable", is probably best translated idiomatically as "you go too far".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level