tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 07 12:29:55 2004

Re: "creative"

>Thorwald Peeters <[email protected]>:
> >> Not too sure that a {ngoQ} can be {teb}'ed, though. I suggest {chav} "to
> >> achieve", but that is only my opinion.
> >
> > a goal can be filled... look at either football (soccer), American
> > Football or any other ball-orientated sport with a physical goal 8-)

Quvar:
>I think MO didn't think about a "goal" as we know it from sports. I'm sure
>it's only the abstract idea, because of the added entry "purpose".

It is.  Okrand expanded the definition of {ngoQ} in KGT to "purpose" to
reflect his use in TKW:

   tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'
   Klingons kill for their own purposes. TKW

>And for {teb}, we only have the example of physically filling something,
>like the {tebwI'} at the Do Qe'.

   HIvje' tIn yIteb
   Fill a large glass! PK

However, note the figurative use in the "Frasier" speech:

   lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'bogh
   May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you have
   given mine. (Frasier)

>"achieve" {chav} is better.

Absolutely.  Cf.:

   tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'
   Klingons kill for their own purposes. TKW

   ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'.
   To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron... S26

BTW, note the translation of {nqoQ} as "end", meaning purpose or
goal.  Obviously, this is not the "end" of a stick, corridor, etc., for
which the Klingon words include {bertlham}, {'o'megh}, {qa'rI'}, {DIn},
{megh'an} or {'er'In}.  English is full of homonyms for which Klingon has
distinctly separate words.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons