tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 04 02:08:50 2004

Re: "creative"

Thorwald Peeters ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

<quote who="De'vID jonwI'">

> Thorwald Peeters:
>>I've been playing with {yuch mu'mey je} and considered the following:

> What's that?  Some kind of game (played at the qep'a')?

No... It's just a gimmick I use to play with words {mu'mey}. As we know
Klingons and chocolate {yuch} go well together. You might also have seen
my question about how to put chocolate and bat'leth together to make "a
chocolate bat'leth" ie a bat'leth made of chocolate. I wanted to know this
because I'm playing with the thought of founding an order called {yuch
betleH 'obe'}.

So in my play with words, chocolate has become a "glue" (pun? if you
wish...) of sorts.
Hence my playing with {yuch} and {mu'mey}.

> Thorwald Peeters:
>>To create is {chenmoH}, creator is {chenmoHwI'}... but what would the
>> word for "creative" be? Are there examples in {Hol} canon of other
>> verbs that were so transformed? Or is "to create" good enough, when the
>> {Hol} form is used?

> Well, I searched through my word list for words ending
> in "-ive", and didn't find that many of them.  We
> have <Doj> (v) "be impressive", but we don't have "to
> impress"; we have <Duy'> (v) "be defective" which I
> suppose we can relate to <QIH> (v) "damage, cause damage";
> we have <jIj> (v) "cooperate, be cooperative"; we have
> <lutlh> (v) "be primitive",  <vaQ> (v) "be aggressive",
> and <wagh> (v) "be expensive".  None of these tell us
> how "to create" and "to be creative" might be related in
> Klingon.  They might be entirely different words.

From this you would almost think that. We shall wait and see if {matlh}
finds the subject interesting enough to say something about it...

> Thorwald Peeters:
>>Some people (me included) turn words around without thinking, making the
>>strangest combinations (spoonerisms). This often throws off the innocent
>>bystander (or in this case the unknowing reader) and causes
>>misunderstanding and healthy laughter (lol, rotfl) when the meaning and
>>pun is understood. That is the kind of creativeness/creativity I want to
>>capture into {tlhIngan Hol}

> I also found <Qapchu'meH chuq> (n) "effective range".
> Maybe you can work out something based on this pattern,
> e.g. <to' vI'oghchu'meH jIpo'> "I am skilled at inventing
> tactics" ("I am inventive when it comes to tactics");
> <mu'mey vIwIvchu'meH jIval> "I am clever at perfectly
> choosing words"; etc.

{HochDich ngoQmeywIj teblaHbej jIQub}
I think the last one fits my purposes adequately

(I'm not too sure about the order of all the words/subclauses or whatever
they be called, but I hope I'm close}

> De'vID

Thorwald Peeters
a.k.a. qa'pIn qorghon puqloD, q'meQ tuq