tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 23:14:12 2004

Re: "creative"

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Thorwald Peeters:
>I've been playing with {yuch mu'mey je} and considered the following:

What's that?  Some kind of game (played at the qep'a')?

Thorwald Peeters:
>To create is {chenmoH}, creator is {chenmoHwI'}... but what would the word
>for "creative" be? Are there examples in {Hol} canon of other verbs that
>were so transformed? Or is "to create" good enough, when the {Hol} form is
>used?

Well, I searched through my word list for words ending
in "-ive", and didn't find that many of them.  We
have <Doj> (v) "be impressive", but we don't have "to
impress"; we have <Duy'> (v) "be defective" which I
suppose we can relate to <QIH> (v) "damage, cause damage";
we have <jIj> (v) "cooperate, be cooperative"; we have
<lutlh> (v) "be primitive",  <vaQ> (v) "be aggressive",
and <wagh> (v) "be expensive".  None of these tell us
how "to create" and "to be creative" might be related in
Klingon.  They might be entirely different words.

Thorwald Peeters:
>Some people (me included) turn words around without thinking, making the
>strangest combinations (spoonerisms). This often throws off the innocent
>bystander (or in this case the unknowing reader) and causes
>misunderstanding and healthy laughter (lol, rotfl) when the meaning and pun
>is understood. That is the kind of creativeness/creativity I want to
>capture into {tlhIngan Hol}

I also found <Qapchu'meH chuq> (n) "effective range".
Maybe you can work out something based on this pattern,
e.g. <to' vI'oghchu'meH jIpo'> "I am skilled at inventing
tactics" ("I am inventive when it comes to tactics");
<mu'mey vIwIvchu'meH jIval> "I am clever at perfectly
choosing words"; etc.

--
De'vID

MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months
FREE*