tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 11:02:49 2004

Re: {Qub} {Har} {Sov} {tu'}

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:04:03 -0400, ngabwI' <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

Hm... I'm not sure whether that's quite the same.

"I find that ..." is idiomatic in English, too, but means something
different to me; it's more "I have come to realise through
experience/experimentation/etc. that..." rather than "I have the
opinion that...".

For example, I'd say in German, "Ich finde, dass du zu Hause bleiben
solltest", but "I find that you should stay home" sounds wrong in
English. Likewise, "Ich finde, dass die Preise in Amerika zu hoch
sind" and "I find that prices in America are too high" mean different
things to me - the German expresses an opinion, while the English (to
me) says "I have sampled prices and have come to this conclusion".

The "You'll find this useful" is more the English sense - "you will
come to the conclusion after experimenting that the facts are useful".

> I also initially had a problem with {be'nalwI' DaSov'a'?} "Do you know my
> wife?", using the "kennen" sense of "know".
> Once again, I overcame that. I'm now comfortable with {Sov} in the "wissen"
> and "kennen" senses.

It's official, then, that {Sov} has both meanings? Or, at least, very
widely accepted?
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 2609.17